Rules for Elora en Plein Air Festival
May 14 to 17, 2020
Welcome to the 5th annual Elora Plein Air Festival.
Artists are invited to capture the charm and warmth of our region. Discover heritage buildings and historic villages; dramatic gorges, lazy rivers and hidden streams; rolling hillsides and picturesque farms.
We’re waiting here for you!
1st Place winner receives $1000.
2nd Place winner $500.
3rd Place winner $300.
There is also a $200. People’s Choice Award and multiple ‘category’ awards and other events for artists
2020 Elora Plein Air Rules
- Check-in is open on Thursday, May 14th & Friday, May, 15th from 7:00 am to 5:00 pm and on Saturday, May 16th from 7:00 am to 1:00 pm at the Elora Centre for the Arts, 75 Melville St, Elora ON N0B 1S0 Advanced registration is encouraged; however, you may register at check-in, provided we have space. The number of entrants is limited.
- Artists may apply transparent or opaque grounds, without 3-dimensional textures, to their support of choice prior to registration. Supports with drawing or sculptural effects will not be permitted. Each canvas/panel/paper or other support must be stamped on the back PRIOR to painting. No unstamped art will be accepted for the show.
- Each work of art must be started and completed en plein air (outside).
- You are not required to return stamped canvases at the end of the day. You are required to sign that you have followed these rules and regulations, especially 3 above.
- The size of the image is not to exceed 24” x 24”. Artists must provide their own materials.
- Artists may paint any subject/scene outdoors throughout the Township of Centre Wellington. Information on a variety of painting locations will be available at registration.
- The show and sale of work will take place on Sunday, May 17th at the Elora Centre for the Arts from 1:00 pm to 5:00 pm.
- Artists will select their artworks for the sale. A maximum of 3 works per artist will be accepted.
- A 30% commission applies to all sales.
Submission of Art
- Artists must be registered for the event to participate in the show and sale.
- Artwork for the show must be turned in at the Elora Centre for the Arts by 6:00 pm on Saturday, May 16th. Any artwork not to be displayed in the show must be removed at this time.
- Artists may select up to 3 pieces of work they created en plein air during the festival for the show.
- All artwork for the show must have the artist’s name clearly marked on the back as well as the “Plein Air Stamp”. The entry card must be firmly attached stating the artist’s name, title of the work and price. Paintings without the attached entry card will not be shown.
- Works of art must be submitted in a manner that allows for ease of handling and display on an easel or wall.
- Event staff will set up the artwork for the judging process and exhibition. .
- Artists should be prepared to leave their artwork until the end of show at 5:00 pm on Sun, May 17th.
- Unsold artwork may be picked up at the Elora Centre for the Arts on Sunday, May 17th from 5:00 to 6:00 pm and from Monday, May 18th to Wednesday, May 20th between 11:00 am and 4:00 pm. Any artwork not removed by 5:00 pm on Wednesday, May 20th becomes the property of the Elora Fergus Arts Council and will be disposed of as they see fit.
- As an entrant of the 2020 Elora en Plein Air event, I understand that the Elora Fergus Arts Council reserves the right to refuse paintings that do not meet the rules of the competition.
- I declare that the work(s) of art submitted for the show are my own work.
- I acknowledge receipt of the rules governing the event and agree, as a condition of entering the show, that the Elora Fergus Arts Council and the Elora Centre for the Arts may publicize and/or broadcast my name, likeness, photographs of my work and the fact that I participated in the event.
- I acknowledge the Elora Fergus Arts Council and Elora Centre for the Arts assume no responsibility for loss or damage to any work, display or person during this event.
Wyndham Art Supplies will be on site at the ECFTA on Thursday May 14 and Friday May 15 from 8:00 am – 3:00 pm.
We will bring a range of painting and drawing materials, including panels and frames, as well as an extensive selection of Guerrilla Painter plein air boxes and accessories.
We invite all Elora Plein Air Festival participants to contact us with special requests prior to the event, if you wish us to bring an order along for you. We attempt to have a good range of materials for sale at our pop-up shop, but we cannot anticipate every need. We will be accepting cash, Visa and Mastercard at the event.
The store is located about 25 minutes away in Downtown Guelph and is well worth a visit if you have the chance.
Visit us online at www.wyndhamARTsupplies.com