Rules for Elora en Plein Air Festival
May 18 to 21, 2023
Welcome to the annual Elora Plein Air Festival.
Artists are invited to capture the charm and warmth of our region. Discover heritage buildings and historic villages; dramatic gorges, lazy rivers, and hidden streams; rolling hillsides and picturesque farms.
Our registrations for 2023 are now closed. We are at capacity. If you missed this year, send us an email to get on our waiting list if an opening comes up and also be notified early of next year’s event
Grand Prize winner receives $1000
2nd Place winner $500
3rd Place winner $300
Multiple honorable mention awards of $200
Best Nocturne $200
Best Student /Novice Work $200
People’s Choice Award $200
Best Quick Paint Award $200
2023 Elora Plein Air Rules
- Check-in is open on Thursday, May 18th & Friday, May, 19th from 7:00 am to 4:00 pm, and on Saturday, May 20th from 7:00 am to 1:00 pm at the Elora Centre for the Arts, 75 Melville St, Elora ON N0B 1S0 Advanced registration is encouraged; however, you may register at check-in, provided we have space. The number of entrants is limited.
- Artists may apply transparent or opaque grounds, without 3-dimensional textures, to their support of choice prior to registration. Supports with drawing or sculptural effects will not be permitted. Each canvas/panel/paper or other support must be stamped on the back PRIOR to painting. No unstamped art will be accepted for the show.
- Each work of art must be started and completed en plein air (outside).
- You are not required to return stamped canvases at the end of the day. You are required to sign that you have followed these rules and regulations, especially #3 above.
- The size of the image is not to exceed 24” x 24” or a maximum of 576 sq” in area. Artists must provide their own materials.
- Artists may paint any subject/scene outdoors throughout the Township of Centre Wellington. Information on a variety of painting locations will be available at registration.
- Artists will select their artworks for the sale. A maximum of 3 works per artist will be accepted.
- The show and sale of work will take place on Sunday, May 21st at the Elora Centre for the Arts from noon pm to 5:00 pm. There is a preview for our artists and sponsors between 11:30 am and noon. The judge’s comments on the works and the awards will be presented at 11:00 am.
- A 30% commission applies to all sales.
Submission of Art
- Artists must be registered for the event to participate in the show and sale.
- Artwork for the show must be turned in at the Elora Centre for the Arts by 4:00 pm on Saturday, May 20th. Any artwork not to be displayed in the show must be removed at this time.
- Artists may select up to 3 pieces of work they created en plein air during the festival for the show.
- All artwork for the show must have the artist’s name clearly marked on the back as well as the “Plein Air Stamp”. The entry card must be firmly attached stating the artist’s name, the title of the work, and the price. Paintings without the attached entry card will not be shown.
- Works of art must be submitted in a manner that allows for ease of handling and display on an easel or wall.
- Event staff will set up the artwork for the judging process and exhibition.
- Artists should be prepared to leave their artwork until the end of the show at 5:00 pm on Sun, May 21st.
- Unsold artwork may be picked up at the Elora Centre for the Arts on Sunday, May 21st from 5:00 to 6:00 pm and Monday, May 22nd.
- As an entrant of the 2023 Elora en Plein Air event, I understand that the Elora Fergus Arts Council reserves the right to refuse paintings that do not meet the rules of the competition.
- I declare that the work(s) of art submitted for the show are my own work.
- I acknowledge receipt of the rules governing the event and agree, as a condition of entering the show, that the Elora Fergus Arts Council and the Elora Centre for the Arts may publicize and/or broadcast my name, likeness, photographs of my work and the fact that I participated in the event.
- I acknowledge the Elora Fergus Arts Council and Elora Centre for the Arts assume no responsibility for loss or damage to any work, display or person during this event.
Need Plein Air supplies?
Wyndham Art Supplies is offering a coupon valued at 10% off your entire order before taxes and shipping. The coupon offer is valid between midnight, May 15th, and 11:59 pm, May 28th. You will receive the code for the coupon in an email from us. Order at the store or by phone.
Delivering to the Elora Centre for the Arts:
Wyndham Art Supplies is offering free delivery for any orders placed no later than Tuesday, May 16th. Plein Air Artists’ orders will be here at the Elora Centre for the Arts for pick up at check-in on Thursday morning. Wyndham Art Supplies will waive the delivery fee for these orders.
The store is located about 25 minutes away in Downtown Guelph and is well worth a visit if you have the chance.
Visit us online at www.wyndhamARTsupplies.com